Thursday, June 12, 2014

Safety First



I sat in the chair
both familiar and unfamiliar
Too long apart
but the cushion 
willing to accommodate
my desire to be included
once more
You stood and started to speak
"We are in a sanctuary!" you said
"This is a safe place!" you said
Your roving eye
flitting on searching souls
never quite meeting the gaze
Your words
deliberate and soothing
with an overtone of the supercilious
The esses on the end of your sentences
elongated
like the hiss of a snake
You disengaged the safety
on the weapon of your original falsehood
and openly offered
to cure me of my brokenness
when I am not broken
Your mouthly barrel
delivering its vile bullet
claiming to fix my aberration
At first
I thought it just a flesh wound
Silent
recoiling slightly
but so far only immobilised
Until the full force of your insult
like a hollow point dum dum
exploded inside me
forcing me to move
and escape your interpretation of refuge
Gasping at the outside air
I lamented
"He said it was safe!"
and as the tears finally came
I whispered once more
"He said it was safe..."

No comments:

Post a Comment