Friday, January 5, 2007

Colourful Skin

I was going to get a new tattoo for my 40th birthday... well that came and went, so seeing as I seem to be going through some sort of reinvention of late, I decided to set the wheels in motion today. I've been working on a couple of designs - one will be brand new, and one will include covering up another old one. Well, all three of them are old... haven't seen the inside of a tattoo parlour for 22 years.

My best friend had her lower back tat done at a place quite near my home, and I love the work. I was talking to another mate and she said when she was a Harley Chick (notice the capitalisation) although she didn't have any tats, all the gang used to go the same tattooist. Cool - I love recommendations.

I originally drove over on Tuesday, but the shop was closed and the answerphone just said they were busy. How dare they still be on holiday! Sheesh... I left a message, and she got back to me and we set up a meeting this morning. Armed with all my crappy drawings and computer printouts over I went.

The place was - as they say - jumping. There sure are a whole ton of people who want things inserted into their bodies in some form or other... I'm talking about piercings here. That don't grab me. Anyhow, the main artiste - Monique - well she's really busy and it will take about two weeks for her to get back to me with the final designs! Oh damn... and there was me thinking she could design it and do it immediately. I guess I must have had my head in the clouds or something...

So what with being off work until next Wednesday still, ergo have time to heal from something at least, I made an appointment for Sunday to have another old tat 'repaired' - that's the technical term... basically means going over a worn-out tat that's lost nearly all its colour and making it look like new. So that's me sorted.

The after care becomes interesting. For the first two days you're supposed to have it lathered in antiseptic cream and covered in glad wrap (cling film) and then taped down to stop any air getting in... and change it 4 or 5 times a day. Being single and living alone, I saw only minor problems in this area. A close friend who lives 10 minutes away now has the dubious honour of being 'wrapping changer' for as long as it takes. It should be OK to lose the wrap by the time I have to go back to the corporate life.

I am stupidly excited about it! But then again, I am generally easy to please.

I may even post photos up to my slideshow - that'll be fun for you all :)

clunks

No comments:

Post a Comment