Tuesday, January 16, 2007

TV +

Last night I was knackered. The humidity at night is driving me bonkers, and I can't find a happy medium when it comes to nightwear (puhlease!), sheets, duvets, whatever. It's either just a touch too cold to be comfortable, or too friggin' hot. Sounds really interesting eh?

Well, with current weather-induced sleeping disorder in place, I set the vid to tape the new sooper-dooper (apparantly) series called Heroes. I really didn't think I'd last until 10:30pm when the 2 hour series opener would finish... It wasn't until this morning when I saw the machine flashing in an unusual way that I realised there was no tape... duh! So instead of getting upset, I waited until I got to work and read the review from my favourite cynic - sorry, critic - Frances Grant, from the New Zealand Herald, whose final words on the new epic were these:

In the meantime, we'll have to take on trust that somewhere in its vast array of characters with all their schemes and dreams, there lurks the intelligent design of a plot.


So I now no longer cared that I missed it, and after all do I really want to be stuck in front of the TV every Monday following something that only really looked good in the shorts? Plus, House is back soon (without his cane?), and the Amazing Race has just started up again. I do have my principles.

On a totally different subject, I met my new boss today. I signed my contract before he was finally recruited, so now he gets to meet his new team. Seems like a nice enough chap - I think he's a bit younger than me, but as I get older I guess it was bound to happen sometime. Then I was given the high-level brief of what I'd be focussing on initially... I now think I must have been a really, really bad girl in a previous life. I have been allocated the mother of all projects. Even on the intranet website, it says that this is the biggest single project ever undertaken by our company. Oh goodie. I get to stretch my muscles in ways I didn't even know existed, and I'm doing it on the cutting edge. Time to take a deep breath.

As I wind down the current job, I'm finishing off the half-yearly reviews so I can leave with a clear conscience! I was originally told I'd be moving to another building, but it looks like I'll just be moving to another floor for the time being. As part of the current restructure, there are still tons of vacancies and plenty of recruitment to do. Until that's all complete, we're pretty much staying where we are if possible, and then we'll play our next round of musical chairs towards the end of Feb or early March. Suits me for now - the building I'm in right now means less walking in this horrible heat as it's closer to my bus stop. Sometimes you just have to take the good where you find it.

Not fascinating I'm sure, but there you have it. I'm back at work, and the holiday musings will probably have to wait until the weekend.

Talking of weekends, this Friday I'm going out for a meal with my team and the interim replacement manager... should be a laugh actually. I almost hope they don't permanently replace me for a little while as I think the interim guy is good value. and the team appear to be relating to him well.

Well, finally NZ appear to be getting the better hand of someone in the cricket, and unfortunately, it's the poms. I've been here long enough to cheer the black uniform... actually, when it's kiwis vs poms, I just cheer whoever is winning :)

Stumps

PS Missed half of the Amazing Race cos the poms decided to make a go of it, and ended up winning on the second-to-last ball... of course I cheered!

No comments:

Post a Comment