Saturday, January 27, 2007

If Music be the Food of Love

A friend (I'll use 'friend' here as it's less complicated, and doesn't then have to end up in a PL which I don't feel like writing now - phew) is at Parachute 07. When I mention this to people (in an "I'd rather be there than here" context), I get one of two reactions:
a) What's that?, or
b) Oh cool, I have friends/family there too!

For the 'what's that' people, I've inserted a link above. For those that can't be bothered, it is the largest Christian music festival in the Southern Hemisphere - 25,000 attendees and held over four days.

Now the reason I bring this up at all is because I was looking to the P07 schedule, and saw some names I recognised - for example, Nesian Mystik, a kiwi hip-hop pop band that burst onto the scene five years ago (who are incidentally also playing at the Edge fm Anniversary party tomorrow, Monday 29th Jan, at Coyle Park, Pt Chev.)

Looking further at the line-up showed some other bands that I know - and quite frankly I didn't expect that. The great news is that I've dug one of those bands out of the archives and listening to them again, namely Third Day. If any of you like the sound of say Nickelback or Creed, then from a musical and singing style, this band may be for you too. I'd encourage you to give them a try, and while you're there try MercyMe and Skillet too!

The other interesting surprise was my friend's reaction when I said I knew them - she wasn't expecting that either!

I love music. And without wanting to sound like I'm espousing simply because I've been listening to Christian rock all day - music really does transcend all. And that's pretty cool

No comments:

Post a Comment