Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Life's a Beach

I went out last night and said a formal farewell to my team. We have the full on work thing on Monday as that's the last day all the departing managers are together, but last night was the special one for me. If I could have carried on managing them as I wanted to, I don't think I would have given it up for anything. But companies change direction, and I wasn't part of that. As previously mentioned, it gives me the opportunity to stretch myself and challenge my own career objectives.

So, twelve of us went to local pizza place where much food and beer was consumed (I tried the Aussie wheat beer, Beez Neez - it's fab!). Temp replacement manager was there with the company credit card (hehe). The boys were great (my one girl couldn't make it). I got all misty eyed when they went around the table to said a few words each - some I expected to pass as there are a few quieter ones, but they all made me swell with pride - how I didn't actually cry is a miracle. They gave me two cards, cos they liked them both:
"Sorry you're leaving. We would all like to give you a great send off!
Bye then!"
and
"We hope you appreciate all the time and effort we put into this card.
It's the most work we've done in years!"

I got tons of gift vouchers for a cool store called Acquisitions, and they also especially bought me a little statue thing, they obviously think this is how I'll be after I start my new job on Monday...


It was all extremely cool, and I will miss each and every one of them.

Not a late night, and I couldn't get pissed as I had to come home, get the car and go and feed a friend's cat... I will have to work on getting drunk another time. This was the first weekend in 6 years that I knew the phone wouldn't ring for work. I think a good word to describe that is 'liberating'...

I then watched four episodes of Heroes back to back - I have reviewed my original opinion, and I think it's rather good...

This morning I've been productive, and done some gardening stuff - well, I at least sprayed all the weeds that appear out of nowhere. It's hot and sticky out there, but the scorching sun is hiding today so far.

Now I'm going to watch episode two of the new L Word series.

Looking forward to dinner with Machi and another friend tonight, then we're going to shake our booties at Flirt... this is one "once a month" thing I can handle.

Have a good day y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment